Evaluation of Hydrated Lime Filler in Asphalt Mixtures
AbstractMineral filler is one of important materials and affecting on properties and quality of asphalt mixtures .There are different types of mineral filler depended on cost and quality , the matter encourages us to achieve this study to evaluate hydrated lime filler effects on properties of asphalt mixes related with strength and durability. Conventional asphaltic concrete mixtures with Portland cement and soft sandstone fillers and mixtures modified with hydrated lime were evaluated for their fundamental engineering properties as defined by Marshall properties , index of retained strength , indirect tensile strength , permanent deformation characteristics , and fatigue resistance .A typical dense graded mixture employed in construction of surface course pavement in Iraq in accordance with SCRB specifications was used .The materials used in this study included mineral aggregate materials (coarse and fine sizes) were originally obtained from Najaf Sea quarries and two grades of asphalt cements produced from Daurah refinery which are D47 and D66 . The physical properties , stiffness modulus and chemical composition are evaluated for the recovered asphalt cement from prepared asphalt mixes containing various filler types .The paper results indicated that the addition of hydrated lime as mineral filler improved the permanent deformation characteristics and fatigue life and the use of hydrated lime will decrease the moisture susceptibility of the asphalt mixtures.
2. ASTM Standards, (2003), "Roads and Paving Materials" , Annual Book of the American Society for Testing and Materials Standards , Section 4 ,Vol. 04-03.
3. Bonnaure , F., G. Gest , A. Gravots , and P. Uge , (1977), " A New Method of Predicting the Stiffness of Asphalt Paving Mixtures ", Proceeding of Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists , Vol.46 , pp.64 – 100.
4. FHWA , (2003) ,"VESYS 5W ’s User Manual ", Federal Highway Administration Office (FHWA)of Infrastructure Research and Development ,Truck Pavement Interaction Program, June 26, Washington, D.C.
5. Fujie ,Z. and Tom, S.,(2002)," VESYS 5 Rutting Model Calibrations with Local Accelerated Pavement Test Data and Associated Implementation " , Texas Department of Transportation in Cooperation with the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration , September, Report 9-1502-01-2 , Project Number 9-1502.
6. Ishai I. ,(1995), "Long Term Laboratory and Field Behavior of PPA Asphalt Cement Blends ", Proceedings of the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists, Vol. 64, pp.306-337.
7. Kenis, W.J., J.A. Sherwood, and T.F. McMahon,(1982), "Verification and Application of the VESYS Structural Subsystem", Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on the Structural Design of Asphalt Pavements, The Netherlands, 1982 , Vol.1, pp. 333-346.
8. Kennedy , Thomas W., Roberts, Freddy L., and Lee , Kang W., (1982), " Evaluation of Moisture Susceptibility of Asphalt Mixtures Using the Texas Freeze-Thaw Pedestal Test" ,Proceeding of Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists , Vol.51 , pp.327 – 341.
9. Kennedy , Thomas W. , and Ping , W. Virgil , (1991), " An Evaluation of Effectiveness of Antistripping Additives in Protecting Asphalt Mixtures from Moisture Damage " , Annual Meeting of the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists , March 4-6 .
10. Loulizi, A., Al-Qadi, I.L., Lahour, S., and Freeman, T.E., (2002), "Measurement of Vertical Compressive Stress Pulse in Flexible Pavements and Its Representation for Dynamic Loading", Transportation Research Board, Paper No.02-2376.
11. Mohammed , M. E. and Michael , S.M.,(1999), " Effect of Aggregate Gradation on the Rutting Potential of Superpave Mixes " , Transportation Research Board , 78th Annual Meeting , January 10-14 , Washington , D.C.
12. Rostler and Rostler , K.,(1981), "Basic Considerations in Asphalt Research Pertaining to Durability ", Proceeding of Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists , Vol.50.
13. Shah ,S.C., (1963) , " Asphaltic Concrete Pavement Survey " , Louisiana Transportation Research Center Report No.9 , Baton Rouge , Louisiana , 1963.
14. State Commission of Roads and Bridges (SCRB), (2003), "General Specification for Roads and Bridges", Republic of Iraq, Ministry of Housing and Construction, Department of Planning and Studies, Baghdad, Revised Edition ,Addendum No.3.
15. Yoder , E . J. and Witczak , M. W. , (1975) , " Principles of Pavement Design " , Second Edition , John Wiley and Sons , New York.
Copyright: Open Access authors retain the copyrights of their papers, and all open access articles are distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided that the original work is properly cited. The use of general descriptive names, trade names, trademarks, and so forth in this publication, even if not specifically identified, does not imply that these names are not protected by the relevant laws and regulations. While the advice and information in this journal are believed to be true and accurate on the date of its going to press, neither the authors, the editors, nor the publisher can accept any legal responsibility for any errors or omissions that may be made. The publisher makes no warranty, express or implied, with respect to the material contained herein.